ESA Director of Government Relations John Chwat recently addressed the annual meeting of ESA of Virginia on Oct. 16 in Virginia Beach, Va., filling in attendees on the latest information regarding ESA’s efforts to monitor and affect government relations both in Washington D.C. and around the country.
Like many states, Virginia’s Chartered Chapter faces its own set of challenges in 2013. ESA of Virginia President Lynn Comer said the key issue is expected to involve working with the state’s Department of Criminal Justice to streamline and clarify regulations that affect ESA members and other electronic security businesses. It’s a long laundry list, she said, including fees, training requirements, paperwork and other regulations that can sometimes create undue burdens, particularly for small businesses.
During his visit, Chwat also gave the oath of office to ESA of Virginia’s officers and new board members including:
- President: Lynn Comer, Shenandoah Valley Security
- Past President: Wayne Boggs, Richmond Alarm Co.
- Vice President: Jeff Simon, Built-In Systems
- Secretary: Jim Ragsdale, Arcane Technologies
- Treasurer: Rod Maitland, Security Alliance of Virginia-Carolina
- Region 5 Vice President: Kate Horton, BK Security and Home Automation
- Associate Member Representative: Jeff Schell, Tri-Ed/Northern Video Distribution